Sunday 14 April 2013

Liverpool Care Pathway - "There Is No Dignity In Suicide"



Sir Patrick Stewart -



Dignity in Dying Patron

Jean-Luc Picard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Casting and design

After the success of the contemporary Star Trek feature films, a new television series featuring a new cast was announced on October 10, 1986.[1] Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry named Picard for one or both of the twin brothers Auguste Piccard andJean Felix Piccard, 20th-century Swiss scientists.[2][3]
Patrick Stewart, who has a background of theatre at the Royal Shakespeare Company,[4] was initially considered for the role of Data;[5] he has said that he would not have been interested in taking a supporting role "to sit around".[6] Roddenberry did not want to cast Stewart as Picard, however; he envisioned an actor who was "masculine, virile, and had a lot of hair".[7] Roddenberry's first choice was Stephen Macht, and it took "weeks of discussion" with Robert H. JustmanRick Berman, and the casting director to convince him that "Stewart was the one they had been looking for to sit in the captain's chair"; Roddenberry agreed after auditioning every other candidate for the role.[7][8] Stewart himself was uncertain why the producers would cast "a middle-aged bald English Shakespearean actor" as captain of the Enterprise.[9] He had his toupee delivered from London to meet with Paramount executives but Roddenberry ordered Stewart to remove the "awful looking" hairpiece. His stentorian voice impressed the executives, who immediately approved the casting.[7] Roddenberry sent Stewart C. S. Forrester's Horatio Hornblower novels, saying the Picard character was based on Hornblower,[10] but Stewart was already familiar with Hornblower, having read the books as a child.[6]
As the series progressed, Stewart exercised more control over the character's development. By the time production began on the first Next Generation film, "it was impossible to tell where Jean Luc started and Patrick Stewart ended",[10] and by the fourth film, he stated that

I find myself talking a lot about Picard and one of the things that I’ve come to understand is that as I talk a lot about Picard what I find is I’m talking about myself. There was a sort of double action that occurred. In one sense Picard was expanding like this and at the same time he was also growing closer and closer to me as well and in some respect I suppose even had some influence on me. I became a better listener than I ever had been as a result of playing Jean Luc Picard because it was one of the things that he does terrifically well.[6]


"There is no dignity in suicide." - Captain Picard of the Star Ship Enterprise.

[Deja Q - 13th episode of the third season of the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the 61st episode of the series overall.]

As the series progressed, Stewart exercised more control over the character's development. By the time production began on the first Next Generation film, "it was impossible to tell where Jean Luc started and Patrick Stewart ended",[10] and by the fourth film, he stated that,


"I find myself talking a lot about Picard and one of the things that I’ve come to understand is that as I talk a lot about Picard what I find is I’m talking about myself. There was a sort of double action that occurred. In one sense Picard was expanding like this and at the same time he was also growing closer and closer to me as well and in some respect I suppose even had some influence on me. I became a better listener than I ever had been as a result of playing Jean Luc Picard because it was one of the things that he does terrifically well.[6]"

No comments:

Post a Comment